|Oh, how distant the days in April when the edge of our club's basin wall was still above water|
|There's been a run on fender line.|
|And this was nearly calm.|
|With more, alas, to come|
In hydrographic table form, the hourly variation (which could be just wave action, I suppose, but 10 cm in two hours?) seemed considerable, but the trend is still "more lake" as this is written in mid-May.
This made the pre-haulout decision to proceed with the purchase and installation of a new depth sounding transducer a touch ironic. Even prompted by our keel scouring of last fall, Lake Ontario is up well over a metre above chart datum (in fact, as of today, it's about 1.65 m); running aground is comparatively harder to do.
|Ye olde transducer. Note the angle, which matches the angle of the chine plate.|
|One-and one-quarter inch hole, plus cleanup of the surrounding area.|
|The Simrad/Navico/B&G Forward-looking Sonar. Photo (c) Ben Ellison/Panbo.com|
|It's option number two.|
|The original hole, cleaned up and with several coats of cold galvanizing paint applied.|
So I had to clamp a piece of wood over the existing hole to give the hole saw's bit something to drill into:
|That's the starter battery inline fuse. It won't be fully secured until the water tanks are in.|
|Why yes, holding the Makita at the right angle even with a pilot hole for the huge hole saw did skip a bit at first.|
|That's about three kilos of UHMWPE, which is as fun as it sounds.|
Fairing blocks were to be made not with wood (which admittedly would have been easier to shape), but with ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene, which is the big brother of the HDPE I've used elsewhere on Alchemy for gasketing and standoffs for the traveller. I picked it because it's even tougher and acid- and alkali-resistant; the engine bay isn't usually a chemical bath of horrors, but this is keeping the water out: I wanted tough. For the racing sailors, it's essentially a block of Dyneema or Spectra.
|Two weeks after contact. It's just lumpy now.|
Now, I am generally careful around tools, but some days the bear gets you. The day I cut the fairing blocks, I had to first use a hole saw on a drill press to cut the aperture for the sounder element and then I had to cut down the two pieces I needed on a table saw angled to 11 degrees. Yes, I was wearing safety glasses and was using a pusher, but was not, alas, wearing gloves: the block jumped and my left index finger, which was guiding the block, skipped across the blade, which was barely proud of the cut. The resultant wound was mangled and bled a lot, but was not deep. Buggered up typing for a while, however, which was tough because that's how I pay for the boat. Still, could have been worse. Could have been Captain Ninefingers.
|Launch 2017 and a new coat of bottom paint. The transducer can be spotted by the bead of sealant around the outside fairing block.|
After binding my wounds, Mrs. Alchemy and myself finished the job (we had to, as launch was only a couple of days away). Unfortunately, we didn't have the multi-function display I intended to use with the sonar before launch, so our main priority was "does this leak?". To date, it does not.
|Prior to tweaking the offset for the depth of the keel below the transducer. Pardon the mess...|
|I wanted "basic MFD". Basic is more complex than it used to be.|
|The depth is 3.8 m directly below the transducer; the sharp vertical is the hull of the boat in front of the cabin cruiser directly in front of us, as in "the next row of docks".|
I'm going to have to practise with this forward-looking display to interpret it properly. Basically, one can usefully "see" reefs, awash containers, logs in the water, etc. The effective forward scanning range is, according to the specs, a "maximum forward view of 8X current depth, nominally 4-5X current depth." More than a boat length is fine if I'm creeping into a lagoon, say, trying to spot uncharted coral heads. And yes, you can set alarms. In fact, there's settings and customization galore of interest to us, which is why I gravitated toward this package in the first place.
|Basic for now. It can take a number of chart programs, which is a plus.|